The Governing Board of MTW District Health Department
The Board of Health of Martin-Tyrrell-Washington District Health which serves Martin, Tyrrell, and Washington counties is established and maintained as the governing body in accordance with the laws of the State of North Carolina of General Statutes §§ 130A-34 through 130A-42.
The Board of Health serves as the policy-making, rule-making, and adjudicatory body for the district health department. The Board of Health is charged with the immediate care and responsibility of the health interest of the district. The board seeks active public participation in the overall community health improvement process.
The District Board of Health has 15 members. The commissioners of each county in the district appoint one of their members to the Board of Health. These appointed commissioner members then appoint the other members of the Board including at least one licensed physician licensed to practice in the State of North Carolina, one licensed dentist, one licensed optometrist, one licensed veterinarian, one registered nurse, one licensed pharmacist and one professional engineer.
If there is not a member of the district available for appointment as designated above, additional representatives of the general public shall be appointed.
When a member of the general public is appointed due to the unavailability of one of the licensed or professional level members shall serve only until a licensed or professional member can be appointed.
The composition of the Board shall reasonably reflect the population makeup of the entire district and provide equitable district-wide representation. All members shall be residents of the district.
Board of Health Members
Chairman: D. Cole Phelps, Commissioner
- Joe Ayers, Commissioner, Car Dealer/Peanut Buyer
- Dr. Robert C. Mills Jr. - Optometrist
- Ben Jones, Public Member, Vice-Chairman, Retired Postmaster
- Darrick Lee, Engineer
- Robert Stalls, Public Member, NC DOT
- Anthony Howell, Public Member, Educator
- Tommy Everett – Commissioner, Owner, Everett Marine
- Frances Smyth – Public Member, Certified Nurse Practitioner
- D. Cole Phelps, Commissioner, Attorney
- Hannah Rogers – Registered Nurse
- Kerri W. Lundy – Pharmacist
- Dr. Scott Chandler – Veterinarian
- Judith Wright – Public Member, RN, Retired Health Director
- Vacant – Dentist
- Vacant – Physician
2015 Board of Health Meetings
- January 27, 2015
- February 24, 2015
- March 24, 2015
- April 25, 2015
- May 26, 2015
- June 9, 2015
- September 22, 2015
- November 10, 2015
All meetings are held at 6:30 pm
Washington County Senior Citizens Center
198 NC Hwy 45 N
Plymouth, NC 27962